- What does Western Extralite do?
- What is a distributor?
- Who are Western Extralite's customers?
- Where is Western Extralite's Headquarters?
- Why is electrical and datacomm distribution important to the economy?
- How complex is the industry? Is it just selling wire and light bulbs?
- I've always wanted to be in a high tech industry. Is Western Extralite high tech?
- Who are some of the manufacturers Western Extralite represents?
- Who works for Western Extralite?
- Does Western Extralite have a training program? How will I learn the business?
- Are there ongoing training opportunities?
- Will I need to be open to relocation if I work for Western Extralite?
- What benefits does Western Extralite provide?
- Is Western Extralite locally owned or is it a stock exchange company?
- Are there growth opportunities?
- What types of positions are available?
1. What does Western Extralite do?
Western Extralite is the largest independent electrical and datacomm distributor in the Kansas City, Sedalia, Warrensburg, MO, Lawrence, Topeka, and Manhattan, Kansas areas. Western Extralite has 14 locations throughout Kansas and Missouri including St. Louis. In 2006, we were ranked as the 68th largest independent distributor in the country.
2. What is a distributor?
AnswerBeing a wholesale electrical distributor means that Western Extralite buys products from quality electrical manufacturers and sells those products to their customers. We help build America. The supply chain goes from: Manufacturer to Western Extralite, from Western Extralite to our customers, and then our customers install the materials in America's buildings and homes.
3. Who are Western Extralite's customers?
AnswerWestern Extralite's customers are commercial, industrial, and residential electrical and datacomm contractors, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), and Maintenance Repair Organizations (MROs).
4. Where is Western Extralite's Headquarters?
AnswerOur corporate office is located at 1470 Liberty Street in Kansas City, MO, a few blocks north of Kemper Arena.
5. Why is electrical and datacomm distribution important to the economy?
AnswerThe electrical and datacomm distribution industry provides all the materials to help bring light, power, and technology to our buildings and homes.
6. How complex is the industry? Is it just selling wire and light bulbs?
AnswerOur industry really powers the country. The electrical and datacomm distribution industry is an exciting and innovative industry. Western Extralite sells the products of over 240 manufacturers and stocks over 14,000 parts. Think about all the electrical and datacomm materials in your building or home – those are the products you will learn, everything from lighting, dimmers, panel boards, load centers, motor controllers, Ethernet cable and connectors, and much more.
7. I've always wanted to be in a high tech industry. Is Western Extralite high tech?
AnswerYes. Western Extralite sells all the latest generation materials that provide datacomm and electrical connectivity for our buildings and homes. Operationally, when you do your job Western Extralite uses the latest generation inventory control, Electronic Customer Relationship Management (ECRM), sales tracking, and data base management systems.
8. Who are some of the manufacturers Western Extralite represents?
AnswerWe represent internationally recognized brands such as General Electric, Leviton, Lutron, Lithonia, Eaton Cutler-Hammer, Siemens, and many more.
9. Who works for Western Extralite?
AnswerWestern Extralite employees range from recent college graduates to experienced veterans. To read a few of their stories, click here.
10. Does Western Extralite have a training program? How will I learn the business?
AnswerWestern Extralite has an on-boarding training program. The program provides a strategy to learn our company culture. It consistently provides the education necessary to perform well and understand how a person's work fits into the overall plan.
11.. Are there ongoing training opportunities?
AnswerWe provide regular online and standup training classes. We also provide the opportunity to travel to our manufacturer locations and attend shcools. Plus, we have a tuition reimbusement program.
12. Will I need to be open to relocation if I work for Western Extralite?
AnswerThere are many opportunities available in all 17 of our locations. When a new job is created or a position opens up, anyone in the company may apply. Western Extralite promotes from within whenever possible.
13. What benefits does Western Extralite provide?
AnswerClick here to read all about our comprehensive benefits package.
14. Is Western Extralite locally owned or is it a stock exchange company?
AnswerWestern Extralite is locally owned. For additional information and history about our company, click here.
15. Are there growth opportunities?
AnswerWestern Extralite has a policy to promote from within, and with over 250 employees, there is plenty of opportunity for growth.